This build is mainly about one skill: Cast on Critical Strike. Ever since its introduction i tried to create a build that effectively uses this gem - a harder task than i first expected. However, i can now safely say: it can work and work well at that.
I have seen other builds that use projectile spells and spectral throw to trigger them, but i figured: if i am going to be casting a spell rapidly for free, it may as well be an expensive one with a big effect. Also: EXPLOSIONS!
This is why i am using Discharge and Voll's Protector to fuel the spell.
Now what attack to use that triggers our spell often enough? While spectral throw does a decent job at hitting multiple times per use, it is by nature a ranged attack and since we want to explode a lot, we also want to stand in the middle of the action.
After much consideration and many tests i finally found a winner in Cyclone. While the skill has some build in issues, it is still by far the best choice for this build: many many hits per cast means many many triggers, constantly moving around also has advantages when fighting monsters that use projectiles and most importantly: we are the center of the action - the Eye of the Storm.
EDIT: I'm currently not playing PoE as much and if i do, i'm usually rocking Ambush league. However, i'm confident that i will return to this char at some point in the future, since it's one of my favorite builds to play. Once i'm doing that, i will take a closer look at the lvl 80-ish passive spec as it's currently lacking in the hp department (maybe delve a little deeper into the marauder start area by sacrificing +maximum endurance charge nodes). However, i updated the passive specs to the current game version for now - its not ideal but still a very strong build. Have fun!
- very fun to play indeed
- looks cool (you are a whirling devil that lets off bursts of whirling explosions)
- does good damage without being too gear dependent
- easy access to conduit allows handing out free Power and Endurance Charges to party members
- high hp and armor plus unwavering stance equals good survivability
- life based makes for easy leveling without having to respec later
- scales well
- you are shocking the whole screen every time a discharge crits (which is often)
- unlimited flask charges
- you have to handle reflect (elemental) with care
- may cause your fps to drop a lot (it's not as bad as you might think tho)
- cyclone has some issues: u can't use it in corners or tight passages
- using a movement skill as your right-click causes desynch (not as much as i first thought tho)
- being in the center of the action means you will take a lot of punishment (i keep my flasks warm)
- 5L Voll's Protector is a requirement (albeit the only item-related one)
- smaller life pool (176%) than some other melee builds
- the only way to tell your real dps is through observation
Pretty straightforward: you take all the defensive nodes first and being life based means you should have an easy time in normal and cruel. Since you are not specialised in anything yet, id recommend using a 2-handed weapon with the skill of your choice until you can skill the first cluster of dagger-crit nodes and strap on that Voll's (for me that was around lvl 55).
At this point you should have most life and armor nodes which means you can start getting more crit. However, since you will be using Blood Magic to cast that ever expensive cyclone id recommend having at least(!) 2K life before making the switch.
Due to the aggressive nature of the playing style, this build is probably not the best choice for the hardcore ladders. However, since it still has a lot of survivability, i dare you to try it out and report back to me ;)
- Once it looks like this, your next 2 Points should be spend on Unwavering Stance and Iron Reflexes Level 30-ish passive skill tree
- This is where i made the switch Level 55-ish passive skill tree
- This is my current build (lvl 80). I'm not 100% sure it's the best thing, since ill have to do some more testing with vaal pact. I still don't own a Voll's Devotion yet, which might be the reason i'm struggling a little with leeching enough life (it's not unplayable, but not really safe either). This is what the breakdown below is based on. Level 80 passive skill tree
- My final tree would look something like this Final passive skill tree
- Determination or Hatred
Chest (must be Voll's Protecor):
4L: don't bother - it doesn't work
5L: Cyclone - Cast on Critical Strike - Discharge - Life Leech - Blood Magic
6L: Cyclone - Cast on Critical Strike - Discharge - Life Leech - Blood Magic - Gem
// not sure yet since i don't have a 6L - maybe Melee Physical Damage or Increased Critical Damage
- 4L: Cast when Damage Taken - Enfeeble - Enduring Cry - Molten Shell
// if you are feeling adventurous you might want to use Critical Weakness instead of Enfeeble.
If u want you can set up a single Target spell in a free 4L, but its not really mandatory as the main skill is good enough for most encounters. Note that you most likely need to use Blood Magic as running 2 Auras plus Voll's means you have a mana pool that barely supports casting lvl 1 lightning warp now and again.
Chest: Voll's Protector
Helm/Boots : life and resistances are the most important qualities
Gloves: If you feel tanky enough, this can be +attack speed and +phys dmg - life and resistances are also always good
Belt : I am currently using a Leather Belt and don't think that is going to change soon
Rings : for damage i recommend +spell damage since the discharges are our main dps. I usually get missing resistances or (you guessed it) life here as well.
Amulet : if u can afford it (i can't) u want this to be Voll's Devotion. I can't make definitive statements here, but i am pretty sure this item is INSANE for this build. Otherwise the recommendations for Rings apply.
Shield : See Helm/Boots
Weapon : this has to be a dagger. Most important qualities are (in that order) local critical strike chance > spell dmg > local physical dmg > spell crit chance > ...